Tuesday, November 1, 2016

What I Watched -- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

I never read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but I did listen to the audiobook, which I'm totally counting as reading.  So I felt okay when it popped up in my Netflix queue to watch it.

Both the book and movie are based on the true story of a murder during one of Savannah's fanciest Christmas parties.  Kevin Spacey plays the party's host and accused murderer; John Cusack plays the journalist who just happened to be there to write a piece on the party, but stayed for the trial.  While nominally John Cusack is the main character, the one who is telling the story, Kevin Spacey steals the show -- as he so often does.  I particularly like him when he's playing a Southerner; it is a role that seems to fit him well.  Perhaps this is because I am so used to hearing him with a Southern accent on House of Cards.

When listening to the audio, which was some time ago, I recall being enthralled by the first half of the story -- getting to know the characters, the party, the murder -- but somewhat bored by the second half -- the trial.  The movie was more evenly weighted.  I was neither enthralled nor bored.

Bottom line: not great, but good enough.

1 comment: