Wednesday, March 11, 2020

What I Watched -- Dinner for Schmucks

We found Dinner for Schmucks and didn't quite know what we were getting into.  I always love Paul Rudd, so that was good enough for me.  I'm not actually a huge fan of Steve Carell, but I overlooked that in favor of Paul.

The movie goes like this: Paul plays Tim, an ambitious mid-level employee.  He gets a crack at a promotion, and the weird deal in his company is that upper management hosts a dinner at which each employee invitee has to bring along a guest, with the goal being to bring the biggest clown or buffoon or curiosity.  Tim brings Barry, a weirdo he met on the streets of New York who practices mouse taxidermy.  Tim lies to his girlfriend Julie about his intentions, and that's the real heart of the story, because no Paul Rudd movie is complete without a sappy love story.

Possibly the best part of the whole thing, though, was when I googled "Dinner for Schmucks" to find this image.  The top three results were local restaurants:
1. Weber's Front Row
2. Happy Wok
3. Mike Duffy's Pub and Grill.
Do with that information what you will.

Bottom line: dopey, but cute and kind of funny.

1 comment: