Monday, November 30, 2020

What I'm Reading Now -- Flux

After finishing Love and Ruin, I struggled to get back into a book.  I read a lot of magazines, watched some TV, did basically anything else I could think of besides starting another book.  Finally, I decided maybe a book of essays was the secret.  However, not finding one in my collection that tickled my fancy, I decided on a book of interviews instead.

Flux isn't just interview transcripts (which under all but the most unusual circumstances would be incredibly tedious), but rather a compilation of interviews into a book about the social, economic, and political situation that women find themselves in today.  Okay, actually the situation they found themselves in 20 years ago, when this book came out.  And since I bought it 10 years ago, I'm pretty much right on schedule in terms of how quickly I read things!

I'm about 40 pages in, and so far most of the interviews are with people in the 25-35 age range.  I'm not sure if that's going to broaden as the book goes on, of if we're stuck in that stage of life for the duration.  If we're stuck there, I am wondering what, if anything, this book will have to say 10 years after I thought it sounded relevant.  If it still has something to say, more power to it, and less power to society for failing to make necessary changes.  If not, more power to me, for getting past it!

No comments:

Post a Comment