Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Rebecca -- Take 2

I enjoyed Rebecca.  As I said, it took me a little while to get into it.  However, once I did, I couldn't put it down.  

There is a mystery at the center of the story, to be sure.  But it's also exceptionally personal.  Our narrator, the second Mrs. de Winter, is young and lacks self confidence.  As the story progresses, she grows into herself and her new role as the wife of a well-known local figure.  Despite her initial self-doubts, she is smart and capable of rising to any occasion.  Sure, she must operate within the expected societal confines of her time, but she manages to do so beautifully, despite her internal reservations. 

And there's the mystery.  That I won't say much about, for fear of spoiling something.  But for a sizeable book with itsy-bitsy print (maybe that's why I have this headache I can't shake....), it goes very quickly.  Give it a read yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment