I can see why Cutting For Stone was so wildly popular upon its release. What's not to like? It's easy to read (or in my case, listen to), it educates on medicine while simultaneously entertaining with language, there's a mystery, there's a frustrated love interest, and on top of it all, it's just a good yarn.
I wondered, after I finished this, if Abraham Verghese had written anything since then. I've gotten out of the professional book business, so I don't see the new releases the way I used to. Then, just a couple of weeks after I finished this, I stopped in at The Book House and happened to turn around only to find The Covenant of Water looking right at me! I haven't bought it yet, but it's now on my list.
But, as far as Cutting for Stone goes, it's the story of twin brothers abandoned as infants by their father, who fled when their mother died in childbirth. They were raised in a rural hospital in Ethiopia by some of the other medical staff their, and made a good life for themselves through their teenage years. Things go sideways between the brothers for reasons I will not spoil, and, though they part ways, it is not the end. As time passes and they each continue making their way in the world, the secrets of their past, and the secrets of their parents, come to light.

No comments:
Post a Comment