Monday, January 8, 2018

Still Reading -- Truman and The Secret Battle

Ages and ages ago, I started reading (or re-reading) two books, neither of which I ever finished: Truman and The Secret Battle.  I let the latter fall by the wayside simply because I wasn't enjoying, or perhaps it's better to say that I wasn't finding it as meaningful, as I had the first time I read it.  The former is a formidable read, and I started it a couple of times but never got more than about 30 pages into it before setting it aside and moving on to something else.

I have of late taken them both up again.  Truman came up in conversation with the person I have temporarily hijacked it from, who reminded me that it gets better after you get through the distant Truman family history, so I gave it another go.  I'm now about 160 pages in and enjoying it immensely.

The Secret Battle is one I just couldn't quite give up on.  I had thought so highly of it when I read it in college that I couldn't believe my own change of heart about it.  I am pleased to say that my sentiments now remind me much more of the first go-around I had with it.

It has been interesting, and a bit confusing, to be reading two books about a guy named Harry which take place (at least in part) in theater during World War I.  In case you are wondering, both Harrys comported themselves honorably.

No comments:

Post a Comment