Wednesday, December 18, 2019

What I Watched -- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

S and I found Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee at the library.  I think it's safe to say this without spoiling anything, but it is exactly as sad as you would expected it to be.  Actually, perhaps sadder.

The movie is based on a book of the same name by Dee Brown, and looks at the complexity and tragedy of Native American assimilation into the ever-greedier settlers who are moving west and finding themselves in need of land.  The film portrays different responses to the government's attempts to purchase (or just take) Indian land, and plays out some of those responses to their ultimate -- and sometimes tragic -- conclusions.

Bottom line: in case I haven't said it yet, this is heartrendingly sad, but a worthwhile watch nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment