Sunday, January 10, 2021

2021 Reading Challenge

I have, to this point in my life, avoided reading challenges.  Why is this?  Primarily, I'm a slow reader so I am almost inevitably bound to fail at them unless the goal is ridiculously low.

[Aside: ridiculous is a word I always spell wrong the first time.  Rediculous.  But then I know that looks rediculous so I change it to ridiculous.]

Secondarily, I am not great at intermediate-term goals.  Short term goals (today, this week) I can remember and more or less stay focused on.  Long-term goals I'm not actually sure I'm very good at, but the goal seems to have changed by the time I get there anyway, so no matter.  But those intermediate-term goals (6 months, a year) ... those are tough.  Not enough time has gone by for the goal posts to have moved too far, but too much time has gone by for me to remember why I really care.

Whew, I thought we were talking about books here.  That got heavy.

K identified a 2021 reading challenge which looks pretty interesting.  It's a book a month (which is a lot for me), but since it's just the two of us we can make up our own damn rules.  I added a couple of restrictions of my own, to help me get through my backlog of books:

1. It had to be a book I already owned;
2. It had to be a book I had not read yet;
3. I can go out of order (mostly since my March and October books are already on my nightstand); and
4. I can bend whatever other rules I want later.

So, here are the lucky winners:

January: a book by a person who is famous for something other than writing
At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends, by Dwight Eisenhower

February: an author's debut novel
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe

March: a book about an animal
Winter World, by Bernd Heinrich

April: a book about an area of science you know nothing about
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach

May: a prizewinner
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, by Daniel James Brown (among other things, the American Bookseller's Association's 2014 adult non-fiction Book of the Year)

June: a book in translation
Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair, by Pablo Neruda (trans. W.S. Merwin)

July: a book that's been banned
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (banned numerous places, including Australia, India, and Ireland)

August: a retelling of a myth or fairy tale
The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller

September: a classic mystery
Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories, by Arthur Conan Doyle

October: a graphic novel
The Best We Could Do, by Thi Bui

November: a collection of letters
What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self, ed. Ellyn Spragins

December: a book that's set in your hometown or state
The Slide, by Kyle Beachy

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a fun list! Some shorter, some longer. I read THE BOYS IN THE BOAT when it came out, and I'd been to Berlin (IN YOUR GARDEN OF THE BEASTS too). And Pablo Neruda....well, you know me and español!

    ReplyDelete