Tuesday, July 21, 2026

What I Read -- In The Woods

I got on a kick of mysteries several years ago now - which has waxed and waned over time - but Tana French's In The Woods has always been on the list.  I finally got to it as an audio book, now that I'm back to having a regular commute.  It really does make the drive so much more enjoyable! 

I wasn't actually super taken in by the mystery of this one, but I very much enjoyed the main character, Adam Ryan.  He's a detective on the Dublin murder squad, and gets tasked with investigating the murder of a pre-teen girl in the same woods where two of his friends disappeared when they were twelve.  The two incidents are, not surprisingly, tied together.  Investigating the murder dredges up all sorts of things that Ryan would have otherwise left buried forever.

The story was good enough, but it was really Ryan himself who engaged me.  I'm not even quite sure why.  He was reasonably believable - a bit of a worn-out policeman who has a good partner but drinks too much - but not astonishingly so. I just liked the character.  Which may actually mean that I liked the audio book narrator.  Something to interrogate if I listen to more of the series.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment