Wednesday, September 30, 2026

What I Read -- The Nordic Theory of Everything

The most recent installment of my 2026 Reading Challenge was The Nordic Theory of Everything: In Search of a Better Life, by Anu Partanen.  

It was not exactly the book that I expected. Beginning with chapter 1, "The Nordic Theory of Love," it is more a book about government and social policy - especially policies designed to fund and subsidize individuals at various stages of life - than it is a book about individual psychology, which is what I expected. Specifically on the subject of families and children, the author argues that, since Nordic countries provide more robust support for parental leave, child care, and return-to-work policies for parents, parents - even single ones - are much more likely to be productive, working members of society.

In general, the concept is that if you have happy, healthy, well-supported, self-sufficient (albeit with government assistance) individuals, they will be able to form relationships on equal footing, with neither person in a position of subservience to the other. The knowledge that the other doesn't necessarily need them, but rather is choosing them, encourages spouses to behave better with each other.  As a consequence, the relationships they have will be stronger and better grounded.  

There is some sense to that, but I'm not sure I followed it all the way to the conclusion.

I listened to the audiobook version of this book.  It's read by Abby Craden, and the accents are horrendous.  It was pretty unenjoyable to listen to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment