Saturday, August 10, 2013

A World of Difference (As Revealed by a Salad)

A couple of weeks ago, T and I went to see Sarah Jane and the Blue Notes at the Whitaker Music Festival at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  The music was good but is only incidental to the story.

I packed dinner to go (having a cooler with wheels is really handy), which included salads for both of us.  Because of the nature of the seating arrangements at the concert, we were half reclined on the blanket, which made holding the salad bowl with one hand and the fork in the other a bit of a challenge.

My solution to this problem was to eat with my left hand (I'm right handed), which was easier because of my position on the blanket.  This was successful about 80% of the time, but comfortable.

T's solution to this problem was to oddly reposition his bowl so it was close to his mouth, which also allowed him to continue eating with his left hand (he's left-handed.)  This was successful about 100% of the time, but uncomfortable.

What does this difference in approach say, exactly?

I'm flexible.  He's determined.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe NO DIFFERENCE, at least if neither of you ended up still hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you were determined to eat your salad the conventional way and you were willing to change hands to do so. I changed my approach to eat salad in order to fit me. So, you're determined and I'm flexible ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have that backwards.

    ReplyDelete