Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What I Watched -- American Flyers

The second movie from the Bicycling magazine list of biking movies that I watched was American Flyers.

It was written by Steve Tesich, the same guy who wrote Breaking Away (and the screenplay for The World According to Garp); I have to say that, of the two biking movies, I much preferred American Flyers. I'm not even totally sure why.  American Flyers is, to steal a phrase from one of my favorite pop culture commentators, "a great big wad of sentimentality."

There are two brothers, somewhat estranged.  They share a common activity, and I bet you can guess what that is.  Their father has somewhat recently passed away, and they've handled his death, and the implications that it might carry for them, differently.  It all comes to a head when they join forces for one last race against the elder brother's arch rival.

Bottom line: if you're up for that wad of sentimentality, it's great.  If not, it's predictable and boring.  Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment