Saturday, September 19, 2015

What I Read -- Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion

Back before Christmas, K had the brilliant idea to start a postal book club.  Here's how it works: K, E, and I all pick our own book.  We read it, write a few notes, and send it on.  Our books travel around the country in a triangle and then come back to us.

Or at least that is the plan.  It has taken me since February to find sufficient time to read E's book of choice: Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion.  It's not because it's a bad book or a slow read.  It's just because I've been a delinquent book club member.  But I went on vacation and, as with my contribution to this endeavor: The Amateurs, I finished the book!

And then I did a stupid thing: I wrote my notes about it, and before I wrote this blog post, I passed my notes off to K.  Perhaps not my best move!

My general feeling about the story she tells is that she's right: the fashion industry has become a race to the bottom for both cost and quality.  The only way to stop it is for us consumers to demand better, and be willing to pay more for it.

I can get on board with that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment