Friday, December 11, 2015

Fun around StL - The Year in Review

Art in Bloom
Every year, SLAM hosts florists from around the area who create stunning displays of flora inspired by works of art around the museum.  The designers are assigned a piece of art (or maybe they have a choice of three -- I can't quite remember), and they craft and present a display based on the original work. This year, I took myself on a solo date to the members' preview event, which included a delicious dinner in the main hall.

Taste of Fiction
T and I went to the annual fundraiser at the St. Louis Public Library again earlier this spring.  So many cakes, so many pictures, and I don't feel like editing them all, so here's my tip: come with me next year and you can see them for yourself!

Circus Flora
K planned her trip to StL this summer just perfectly, although we didn't know it at the time.  Not only did we get to see Richard the Lionheart, we also went to Circus Flora's annual show.  This year: "One Summer on 2nd Street."


There were some changes this year.  Some of my favorite guys from the St. Louis Arches have moved on, but the younger tumblers have stepped up and I'm sure they will develop just as much character over the next couple of years.

The Flying Wallendas were there, as usual, and put on a breathtaking show.  There was a new pair of aerialists who where equally as impressive as the high-wire walkers, and are a great addition to the show.

The night that we were at the circus, there was an insane thunderstorm outside.  Our circus tent held up just fine, but thank goodness they bolt it to the ground.  Otherwise we might not have been so lucky!

Campbell House Museum
The CHM celebrated the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War with a number of author signings and an open house.  Members got to snack and drink wine, and wander about through the museum and garden.  Aside from being a bit windy outside, it otherwise a lovely day.

1875 St. Louis
T and I went to a new exhibit at the History Museum.  It was so much fun to see the history of the city I have come to love, all laid out in maps.  The design of the exhibit was a little goofy, with lots of cartoon drawings, but the info was fascinating.

Lantern Festival
I went with the G family to the Lantern Festival this year.  It was impressive, and we had the pleasure of being there on a lovely evening for a stroll through the garden.  It also made me realize that I don't go there enough - a situation I need to correct!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I went to that exhibit at the History Museum with you this year, too! And to the Campbell House! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete