Saturday, January 2, 2016

Christmas Recap

So I know that we're now in the new year, but I never did tell y'all what I did for Christmas.  So here's what I did:

Remember back when I went to see The Princess Bride at Tenacious Eats?  The same chef who does that hosted a Misfit Brunch for Christmas (pajamas encouraged, although I did not participate because I had to go from there to work).  It was scheduled to last 5 hours, and none of us - I went with a group of girlfriends - could figure out why.  Turns out the plan was to play some old Christmas movies while serving food in courses.  We started with traditional brunch fare, which included pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, potatoes, made-to-order omelets, coffee, mimosas, and hot chocolate made with melted Ghirardelli chocolate.  The lunch fare was more meat-centric with ham, stuffed chicken breast, salads of various types.  There were also doughnuts from Strange Doughnuts.  Then came the dessert course - warm cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven.  There was Santa and live music between movies as well!  The whole thing was a real trip!

S is not a fan of Christmas.  Nevertheless, he indulged my love of the holiday in a number of ways:
1. I got to listen to almost all the Christmas music I wanted.
2. I got to make cookies in his new kitchen.
3. He put up his little baby Christmas tree, and I got to put the teeny ornaments on it.
4. He put up real, wonderful lights in the tree in his backyard, so that I could have a real Christmas tree.
5. He went Christmas shopping!
6. He went to Florida with me to see the fam.  (In addition to hating Christmas, he hates Florida, so this was big news.)
7. More Christmas music, which he occasionally even sang along to.
8. He bought me a spruce-scented candle and lets me burn it all the time.
9. He went with me to see the Magic Chef Mansion as part of a Victorian Christmas joint even between that and the Campbell House.
10. He obeyed my rule to not buy me a Christmas gift (which he was sure was a trap).
11. All the other things I'm forgetting because there were so many.

I saw the wildest house on Macklind all lit up like it came out of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, so that was pretty cool.  Going to have to make a run by there again next year.  And I only found it because I was on my way to Grapeseed for dinner with Dad and S.  (Which was delicious, by the way.)

My holiday movie selection changed a bit this year.  I omitted How the Grinch Stole Christmas, although not by choice - I just couldn't find it, then ran out of time.  But I did add one: Home Alone!  Why did I not watch that before.  I forgot how goofy it is.  I also watched my classic favorites: Love Actually, It's a Wonderful Life, and Little Women.  I am happy to report that I like Wonderful Life more and more each time I see it.  I am not surprised to report that Amy is still a brat, and I like her less and less every time I see Little Women.

I also omitted some of my typical outings - Wild Lights at the Zoo, Garden Glow at MOBOT (although I suppose there is still time for that one), the SLSO Christmas concert - mostly due to the crazy amount of work that I have right now.  But they will be there again next year, so there's always that!

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like a guy who hates Christmas to me ;)

    ReplyDelete