Sunday, March 27, 2016

What I Watched -- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

While this year's Oscar buzz was going on, I decided to revisit last year's Oscar babies while no one was looking.

I started with Birdman, which got rave reviews and won pretty much all the Academy Awards - picture, director, screenplay, cinematography. As with so much Oscar-related stuff, I can't figure out what this movie was besides lots of Hollywood navel-gazing.  I think they all liked it so much because it's about them (as if there isn't enough of "them" in the news and tabloids).

The one thing I can appreciate are the parallels with real-life Michael Keaton.  The movie is about a washed-up movie star who made his name playing a superhero.  He's making a last-ditch effort to save his career by staging a Raymond Carver short story, which is a way-out-of-left-field creative project for him.  Sound like the story of the former Batman now making a movie called Birdman?

Bottom line: skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment