Tuesday, May 31, 2016

What I Watched -- Begin Again

Begin Again is bait for me.  I love Mark Ruffalo, and his lovable loser characters.  I like Kiera Knightly.  I like movies about music, mostly because I know nothing about music, but I enjoy listening to it.  And I love New York.

Objectively, the movie was okay.  Not stellar, but it was cute.  Kiera plays Gretta, a girlfriend who comes to New York with her musician boyfriend.  All is well and good for five minutes, until the boyfriend decides that he's found someone new and poor Gretta is left to express her regrets through her music - which it turns out she writes!  She's discovered by Dan, an out-of-favor music executive who needs to discover some hot new talent in order to save his career.

Their relationship drives the plot of the movie, but the music is its soul.  That's what I like about it.  Even if it's not music written for the movie, it still drives the movie -- like the scene where Gretta and Dan walk through the city, each listening to one earbud.  They're not talking, there's no action.  It's just music and the city and Kiera and Mark.

Bottom line: cute and musical and a bit goofy.

1 comment:

  1. I liked several of the songs quite a bit. And of course Mark and Kiera were sweet.

    ReplyDelete