Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The annual Shakespeare Festival in the Park festival just wrapped up, and this year's selection was A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I'm fairly certain that this was the same play I saw at my very first Shakespeare in the Park, or at least one of my very early ones.

In fairness, my memories of that first one are vague, but I believe I liked the more recent one better - a little easier to follow, better acting.

I find it an interesting choice for a repeat performance though. It is not among my favorite of the Bard's plays; perhaps I am in the minority.  It is the source of many turns of phrase we know today, although that's true of much of his work. Specifically, however, it is the source of one of my favorite sentences Mr. Shakespeare penned: "Though she be but little, she is fierce."

So for that line alone, I appreciate the do-over.

1 comment:

  1. It's not one of my favorites, either. So much hype that I don't understand!

    ReplyDelete