Tuesday, August 8, 2017

What I Read -- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

My second read for the Postal Book Club v. 2.0 was The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  It was E's pick, and it was a great one for vacation; it was more than a beach read but not a downer.  In the description I shared with K and E, I overused the word "charming," which is still the best descriptor I have for it.

The title character is the owner of a bookstore on a small, relatively isolated island.  As such, the cast of characters is small and, though flawed, they are winning.  A.J. is a widower and loner, and his few reliable people are as much his rescuers as his friends.  The plot is simple and human and . . . charming.  I won't say much more about it, because I would have to give away a relatively early plot point, so you'll just have to read it!

As you all know, I'm a slow reader.  Even though I read this on vacation when I had the time to devote to a novel, I think it would have been a quick read even in real life.  It's especially delightful and fun to read if you are a fan of bookstores!

No comments:

Post a Comment