Thursday, October 12, 2017

Game Of Thrones -- Take 2

I finished Game of Thrones while I was in NC for E's wedding. Instead of lugging that brick along with me so I could read the last 50 pages, I downloaded the ebook.

I have tried a few other ebooks since The Martian, but this was the first one that I was able to get through in ebook format. Much like The Martian, I think ebook may only work for me if the story is compelling -- suspenseful, funny, or otherwise somehow keeping my attention from being distracted.  I tend to be easily distracted; something that requires a lot of focus (such as a dense history book) is not a good candidate for me to read as an ebook.  I read them on my phone, which is designed to promote distraction.  So that's something that just isn't going to work, unless perhaps I am on an airplane or otherwise have no cell or wifi service.

Back to GOT! The first book does a lot of scene-setting, following a few of the major families in their quest for the crown (or to avoid it, as the case may be).  Since I have seen 6+ seasons of the HBO series based on the books, I have an idea of where things are going, and I don't want to say too much.

However, I will reiterate the good advice that I received: if you are not a world-building reader on a regular basis, it may be helpful to watch the show first.  The books have a lot of funny names and strange language, and I found it extremely useful to have a face to put with the names.

Having said that, this is the longest book I have gotten through in some time, and that alone should tell you something!

No comments:

Post a Comment