Tuesday, November 27, 2018

What I Read -- Holiday in Cambodia

The third of the books I read about Cambodia on my trip there was Holiday in Cambodia.  It's a collection of short stories, and every story is depressing.

Laura Jean McKay does a wonderful job getting into a variety of voices, which are all over the map.  The main characters are a pretty even mix of Cambodians and foreigners, and take place across the several decades of Cambodia's recent history.  As one would expect, there were some stories I liked better than others, but on the whole, this was the least compelling of the three books about the country that I read.

Fun fact: the title is pulled from a Dead Kennedys song of the same name, which is a critique of the looking-down-the-nose that wealthy, educated American kids do with regards to Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment