Sunday, February 10, 2019

What I'm Reading Now -- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

I had a day near the end of January that had potential to be either great or terrible.  Oddly, the whole day was sort of meh.

It started out with a wind child of -40 degrees.  We left the house to head to work (S) and my workout (me), and had to stop for gas.  That all seemed to go fine.  About two miles down the road from the gas station, the engine started to sputter like we were running out of gas.  This isn't good.  We made it off the highway and to the top of the exit ramp before we lost momentum.  (Reminder, it was very cold.)  Potential to be terrible.

Luckily, the tow truck came quickly (though not without a couple of arguments about whether our AAA membership was current and whether AAA would to a truck that didn't have...well...never you mind that part.

In any case, it didn't look like we were going to make it to work.  Potential to be great.  I did have a fair amount of work that needed to get done (terrible), but I had my laptop with me, so I could work from home (not great, but at least acceptable).

I got to watch a lot of my current favorite, The Great British Baking Show (great).  I got to hang out with S (great).  I had to work, and was feeling especially unmotivated (terrible).

As I said, though, the whole day was just meh.  Maybe the combination of all the great and terrible just cancelled each other out, and left me feeling very mediocre.

Due to that mediocre feeling, I was really struggling to get motivated to work out.  I had a couple of options, but nothing was getting me jazzed up.  What I needed, I decided, was a not-too-serious page-turner book.  When I initially had that thought, I was hoping for some real trash.  I took one look at my bookshelf and realized I was shopping in the wrong place if I wanted disposable mass market junk.  I stopped at the closest thing I could find, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which at least got me on my bike for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment