Friday, February 1, 2019

Goals 2019 -- February Edition

February will see K and me with emptier closets.

We will each go through our clothes with an eye towards paring down our collections.  Here are the guidelines (which I came up with totally on my own, so K may have different plans):
- Send damaged items for repair;
- Get rid of anything too damaged to repair;
- Send for tailoring or get rid of anything which is not properly fitting;
- Send for tailoring or get rid of anything which makes you ask "Why do I keep wearing this?" any time you put it on;
- Repurpose or get rid of anything which is out of style;
- Donate anything not worn in over a year (with an exception for items which serve a specific albeit rare purpose -- such as heavy duty winter clothing or formalwear).

What will we do with the things we aren't keeping?  K found an article from the New York Times recently, which an extensive collections of resources and tips for getting rid of stuff you no longer want.  The article was spurred by the new Marie Kondo show on Netflix.

(A brief aside from M: Let me just take a moment to say that I got as far as "your socks need to lay flat so they're not stressed out" before I chucked Ms. Kondo right in the bin with all the other loony crackpots and things not worth donating.  Nevertheless, whatever gets people off the consumption train I suppose is good, stressed-out socks or not.)

My university career services department has a stash of business attire they make available to students going through job interviews, so anything that fits the bill, I will donate there.  Anything not formal enough for that but in good condition will be donated elsewhere.  Anything too damaged to donate will probably become scrap fabric for miscellaneous future sewing projects.

And, as motivation and a reward for our hard work, K and I can restock as necessary at a rate of 1:2 -- we can get one new thing to replace every two items we've gotten rid of.

Here's to more spacious and fashionable closets!

No comments:

Post a Comment