Wednesday, October 7, 2020

What I'm Reading Now -- Our Souls at Night

My newest postal book club read was selected by E.  Our Souls at Night is Kent Haruf's final novel; he passed away in 2014.  You may know him from his Plainsong series.  Although this is also set in the small town of Holt, Colorado, and covers some of the same themes, it is a standalone read.

Many moons ago, I either read or listened to Plainsong and its successor, Eventide.  I frankly don't recall much about either of them from a plot perspective, but I do recall liking his tone and pace.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he has in store here!

4 comments:

  1. Did you finish reading it? I jumped to the film (Jane Fonda & Robert Redford). It was sweet as the two of them worked to overcome social stigmas they fear will derail their late-in-life love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the movie? I haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but it helps that I like Robert Redford. I found the character of Gene to be more compelling in the book, but he's a minor one. All in all, not a bad translation from page to screen.

      Delete