Monday, December 14, 2020

Quarantine Christmas - Part II

How many years has it been since you last saw A Charlie Brown Christmas?  For me, probably 25 - at least.  We watched it again this year.  It's shorter than I remember, but otherwise exactly as sweet and silly as it always was.

I also made my first round of cookies.  S love my recipe for Molasses Crinkles, which normally are rolled into a ball, rolled in sugar, and baked.  They bake out into perfectly round disks, but this year I wanted to try doing a rolled version of them.  I did this without modifying the dough recipe at all, just shortened the cooking time to about 2/3 of the normal amount.  They worked out and tasted delicious, but if doing it again I might try a little less butter/sugar, or a little more flour, to help them hold their shape and not spread quite so much while baking.

S was kind enough to set up my Frosty the Snowman out front again, and even surprised me with a handcrafted outdoor Christmas tree!  Unfortunately our outdoor Christmas lights have all gone kaput, so we needed to get some more so the tree could be in its full glory.

Have you ever listened to the SLSO rebroadcasts on St. Louis Public Radio?  They happen on Saturdays at 8:00, and it is a wonderful way to experience the symphony.  It's free, you can do whatever you want to while you're listening -- read a book, cook, just sit and listen.  The most recent show was Handel's Messiah.  Despite actually being written for Easter, Messiah has come to be associated with Christmas.  I used the opportunity to do some necessary cleaning and organization around the house.  Great music and productivity in one!

S does not like It's a Wonderful Life.  He says he feels like Jimmy Stewart is just yelling at him the whole time.  I can see that perspective, but that doesn't change the fact that -- after many years of not seeing it, and a few more years of struggling with how dark it is -- I have very much come to like it.  It is now an annual standby.  So while S sat in the other room in a rare day lost to video games, I lost myself in Bedford Falls (okay, and the work I was doing at the same time).

No comments:

Post a Comment