Thursday, April 8, 2021

American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West -- Take 2

I was always going to like American Wolf.

What surprised me about it was how interesting I found the portions of the book that related not to the wolves directly, but rather to wolf policy.  There are, as with any issue no matter how big or small, differing viewpoints about whether wolf reintroduction to Yellowstone National Park was a good thing.  Farmers and ranchers have opinions, hunters have opinions, park and wildlife folks have opinions, politicians have opinions (and constituencies), lots of people who probably don't know anything about it have opinions.  And somehow, much to my surprise (dismay?), I found these segments fascinating.  Watching all the players move around each other was like watching the whole room of dancers waltz in one of those old-timey movies.

It was, of course, not my favorite part of the book.  This was obviously the wolves.  Because wolves are cool as can be.  I did find it a little bit difficult at times to remember which wolf was which (especially when they went only by the ID numbers rather than cute nicknames), but there is a family tree at the front of the book (another thing I love) which helps sort out some of that confusion.

All in all, a win - and a relatively quick read, I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment