Monday, January 3, 2022

2022 Reading Challenge

In an effort to see if I can make it through a whole year of books, K and I are doing another reading challenge this year!  I've picked some dense ones this year, plus I'm still working on The Boys in the Boat, so I better get my reading glasses ready.

As usual, I'm making/carrying over some of my old rules.  Here's what I've got this year:

1. It has to be a book I already owned;
2. It has to be a book I had not read yet (or at least haven't finished yet);
3. Though I can go out of order, some of the months are clearly themed (e.g., January, February, October), so I will try to read those books at least close to the month they are selected for; and
4. I had initially planned to carry over some books from last year, which I didn't actually do but I'm just throwing out that this is a possibility for the future.

The 2022 categories/descriptions and selections are as follows:

January: Winter Wonderland (set in a wonderful place - somewhere beautiful, with a rich culture, or magical)
The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey

February: Seeing Red (with "red" in the title or a red cover; bonus points if it has both)
Rebecca, by Daphne DuMaurier

March: Sub-Genre Sound Off (a sub-genre of your favorite genre)
Jack: A Life Like No Other, by Geoffrey Perret
Note: I struggled with what my favorite genre was.  Eventually I fell back on history, because I was a history major in college and at one point it was definitively my favorite.  Plus, it was the category I could easily divide into sub-categories on my bookshelf: history >> American history >> the Kennedys.

April: Classics or Currents (published before the year you were born or within the last year)
The Sorrows of Young Werther, by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Note: technically, the edition of this book that I have was not published before I was born.  However, the original was, so I'm going with it.

May: Author Introduction (an author you've never read anything by)
The High Adventure of Eric Ryback, by Eric Ryback

June: Name or Number (with a name or number in the title; bonus points if it has both)
The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley, by Jeremy Massey

July: Around or Out of this World (set in a country other than where you live, or by an author from another country, or set in space or on another planet)
Muddied Oafs: The Last Days of Rugger, by Richard Beard (British)

August: Creature Feature (has a creature - mythical or real - on the cover)
Good Dog. Stay., by Anna Quindlen

September: When Text Isn't Enough (includes more than just text - a map, illustrations, a family tree, letters, etc.)
The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Note: I picked this one because it has so many special additions: maps, six family trees, a pronunciation guide, and an appendix.

October: Thrills and Chills (ghost stories, haunted houses, true crime, murders - anything that keeps you on the edge of your seat)
Dracula, by Bram Stoker

November: Dynamic Duos (with characters that make the perfect pair)
The Reading Promise, by Alice Ozma

December: Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice (holiday themes, love stories, happy cries, comedies - anything that makes you feel good)
The Incredible Journey, by Sheila Burnford

Here we go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment