Sunday, January 2, 2022

2021 Reading Challenge Recap

As of the end of this year, I have gotten through 8.25 of the 12 books I was supposed to read for my 2021 Reading Challenge (although I did also read three postal book club books, so I almost made my count!).  Here's how I did:

January: a book by a person who is famous for something other than writing
At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends, by Dwight Eisenhower
READ

February: an author's debut novel
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe
READ

March: a book about an animal
Winter World, by Bernd Heinrich
READ

April: a book about an area of science you know nothing about
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach
READ

May: a prizewinner
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, by Daniel James Brown (among other things, the American Bookseller's Association's 2014 adult non-fiction Book of the Year)
Reading

June: a book in translation
Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair, by Pablo Neruda (trans. W.S. Merwin)
READ

July: a book that's been banned
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (banned numerous places, including Australia, India, and Ireland)
Did not read

August: a retelling of a myth or fairy tale
The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
READ

September: a classic mystery
Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories, by Arthur Conan Doyle
READ

October: a graphic novel
The Best We Could Do, by Thi Bui
READ

November: a collection of letters
What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self, ed. Ellyn Spragins
Did not read

December: a book that's set in your hometown or state
The Slide, by Kyle Beachy
Did not read

So, all in all, for a person who hasn't read much lately, I think I did okay! So good, in fact, that K and I are going to have another reading challenge in 2022.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment