Friday, September 30, 2022

What I Read -- The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley

I try not to read more than one book at a time.  I'm a slow reader and also don't have a great memory, so reading multiple books simultaneously does not usually work out very well.  But recently I found myself reading four at once! 

I was reading The High Adventure of Eric Ryback, but since I have a first edition, I didn't want to take it with me when I was traveling; books always get really beat up under those circumstances.  I was (and still am) reading Sum, but those are short little think pieces that I like to sit with for a day or so after reading, rather than plowing right on to the next one.  I was reading Older, But Better, But Older, but that one is both dense and heavy, and a pretty quick read, so I didn't want to carry it while traveling especially knowing I would need to take another book anyway because it wouldn't last me the whole weekend.

So I moved on to my fourth book, The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley.  This one is a long-overdue element of my 2022 Reading Challenge (it being the June selection), but it looked fairly light and amusing, and seemed like a good candidate to dip in and out of while traveling. 

And it was!  The story was delightfully Irish, amusing, and just unrealistic enough to not matter that I wasn't devoting sustained and dedicated attention to it.  It was playful despite the nominally serious turns in the plot.  It suited my needs perfectly.  And I blew threw it (finishing the day after I returned from my weekend trip), which is unusual for me.

It was a fun little romp (sometimes literally) through an undertaker's Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment