Wednesday, September 28, 2022

What I Read -- Older, But Better, But Older

When K and I were shopping in Jackson, WY, earlier this summer, we we laughed so hard we nearly cried when I opened to a random page of Older, But Better, But Older

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that we probably, by total chance, had landed on the best page in the book.  When I started at the beginning, I was appalled by how cliche the whole thing seemed; it was just a collection of trite, canned sayings, lists of semi-random thoughts, and the like.

As I got into the last third, it began to develop into a little something.  There were more short essays and fewer lists.  Somehow, these seemingly random, miscellaneous thoughts began to coalesce into a general sentiment approaching satisfaction - not with the book itself, but with life, and the idea that you don't have to meet other people's expectations all the time.  Everything will be fine, even if you're yourself.  Perhaps most especially because you're yourself.

So that was nice reassurance, but at the end of the day, these are pretty much all things that smart, successful ladies already know.  I didn't need a book to tell me this.

I will give credit to the layout designers though.  It was a pleasure to turn the pages in this book.  The combination of text (in varying fonts), pictures, and page layout changes kept it all visually fun to move through.

No comments:

Post a Comment