Monday, April 3, 2023

The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared -- Take 2

Back before Christmas, I started reading The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared, which was part of my 2022 Reading Challenge.

Prior to S and I leaving for our most recent trip, I had to skip forward several months in my 2023 Reading Challenge to find books that were available as e-books.  What I did find, while I was searching my library databases, was an audiobook version of The Reading Promise.  Several hours on airplanes gave me the opportunity to spend some time listening to this book, which I finished up shortly after we returned home.

During the paper book portion of this read, I found much of the author's writing to be somewhat trite, but I handled that just by skimming through the offending portions.  One of the wonders of audiobooks is the ability to listen to them at an accelerated pace, which I very much did in order to speed through the remainder of this book.  It's a very sweet story, and for a 22-year-old author, quite an accomplishment.  Occasionally I found her innocence and perspective to be endearing, but more often I had enough of it and just wanted to move to the next chapter.

Having said that, I cannot overlook the book's unabashed championing of reading for reading's sake, which is a message I can get behind, wholeheartedly and unreservedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment