Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls -- Take 2

While S and I were traveling recently, I finished up my March book for the 2023 Reading Challenge, The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls

It's a coming-of-age story about young Thea Atwell, cast out of her home during the depths of the Great Depression and sent to the titular camp.  She excels as a rider, and the reason for her being cast out is revealed as the story goes on.

I like the conceit, where you learn little bits of the past as the story goes on.  For the most part, though, the revealed story is pretty much what I expected it to be, at least once I learned who the major players were.  There was one twist which I didn't quite see coming, but it was minor in the grand scheme of the backstory.

I don't really have a complaint about the book, but generally I'm past the point in my life where coming-of-age stories do much for me.  The writing was fine, the story was fine, I love a good historical drama, but I couldn't get invested in the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment