Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's a Rat Race

As I was studying yesterday, I realized something: life is a rat race.

Right now, I'm cramming my brain full of as much legal jargon as I can, and on Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm going to be emptying all that info out so someone I've never met can tell me how smart (or not smart) I am.

But you know what? It's not over after that. Then it's job time. Applications, resumes, cover letters, interviews, way-too-hot suits in the middle of summer, competing with loads of other recent graduates (or worse, full-fledged practicing attorneys who have been laid off due to our recent economic troubles), all to get a job. And then? The party continues. Dragging myself out of bed every day to go to a job that, with any luck, I won't totally loathe.

When does it get fun?

And it's not like I didn't know any of this before, but...do you ever have those moments when all the sudden it feels like you see everything with a clarity that you didn't have before? Even if it's all information you knew before, for whatever reason it comes together in a way that makes it seem much more salient. And those moments usually come out of nowhere, at least for me. Yesterday, I was just sitting on the couch studying Equity, and there it was.

But to answer my own question, I guess it gets fun when you make it fun. So I'm going to keep studying, and then (after the bar), hopefully I can make things fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment