Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I'm Reading Now -- The Almost Moon


Despite the fact that I should be spending every waking minute studying for the bar, I can't help myself. I'm reading The Almost Moon, by Alice Sebold (of The Lovely Bones fame). I'll be honest: it's a strange story. I'm almost finished with it and still haven't quite warmed up to the plot, although it is enthralling enough to keep me reading, just to find out what happens.

What's great about this book, though, is the character development. One of the first things that happens (minor spoiler alert) is that the main character, Helen, kills her mother. Rough start. But through the rest of the book, you learn about what led Helen to this point in her life. The writing is in first person, so information about Helen isn't thrown at you by an all-knowing narrator. You just pick up tidbits here and there, in how she talks to her ex-husband, and especially through flashbacks to her childhood. Really well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment