Monday, February 14, 2011

What I'm Reading Now -- Dracula

I've never read Dracula before. So what better thing to do on a dark and snowy night in Breckenridge than read a book that will freak me the heck out?

Okay, that's only 1/3 of the reason I wanted to read it. The second is that it's a classic, and allegedly a good one. I'm not a big supporter of reading the classics just to say you've read them. You should read them if you think you'll enjoy them.

And the last reason I want to read it is because I read Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian four or five years back, and very much enjoyed it. It's a story of a girl's investigation into, and subsequent carrying on of, her father's hunt for the real Count Dracula - Vlad the Impaler. Great stuff, especially for a first novel.

Those are the reasons I wanted to read Dracula. Unfortunately, I don't typically have chunks of time that allow me to really lose myself in a book. So far, I've made it 16 pages. I think it's going to get freaky soon, but so far I am decidedly un-terrified. I'm sure it won't last.

No comments:

Post a Comment