Monday, April 30, 2012

What I Watched -- Joyeux Noel

This is an amazing story, because it's true!  I actually have a book about it: Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce, but as with most of the books I own, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  This movie came out in 2005 and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film, though it lost the award to Tsotsi, which I also saw some years ago.

Joyeux Noel is the story of how a few brave people can make a difference.  Every once in a while, humanity wins.

It's sentimental and a bit sappy, but in this case it's forgivable because it's real.  They really did sing, they really did exchange food and drink, they really did have joint Christmas services, they really did play soccer, they really did share stories about their families, they really did take shelter in each others' trenches when the artillery shelling started up again.  Incredible.

Bottom line: a great story, especially on a really hot or cold night.  It's either wishful thinking or immersion therapy.

1 comment: