Friday, November 7, 2014

Art at the Table

I recently learned about a new thing that they're doing at Panorama, the restaurant at the St. Louis Art Museum called Art at the Table.  My friend M and I attended the "Whiskeys of the World" dinner to see what it was all about.

The main seating area of the restaurant is closed for the evening, although I believe the small tables along the two sides are still reserved for regular guests.  Seating is family style, so M and I were at a table of six.  The other four knew each other, and we got to know a bit about them over the course of the evening.  Two of the courses (1 and 4) were served family style as well.  Introductions to the food were given by chef Ivy Magruder; introductions to the whiskeys were given by a guy from Major Brands.

Course 1: fried oysters, buttermilk marinade, sweet potato puree, Andouille BBQ
Paired with: Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish Whiskey

Course 2: braised pork belly, grilled asparagus, apple mustard, poached egg, togarishi-spiced creamed corn
Paired with: Knob Creek Rye Whiskey

Course 3: grilled filet, smoked Gouda, caramelized onion-porcini gratin, glazed beets, whiskey demi
Paired with: Suntory Hakushu 12-Year Single Malt Whiskey

Course 4: candy plate (pecan pralines, chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, bacon fudge)
Paired with: Glen Garioch 12-Year Single Malt Scotch Whiskey and Canadian Club Small Batch Sherry Cask

My favorite whiskeys were the Irish and the Scotch - not the two I expected!  In restaurants, I tend towards the American, but I guess that's why something like this is such a good idea.  What's more, all the food was delicious; I've been back to the restaurant since just for a nibble, and I will go to another Art on the Table event for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment