Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What I Watched -- The Wolf of Wall Street

I had been warned not to see The Wolf of Wall Street. "It's disgusting and exhausting," people told me.  They were right.  This movie is disgusting and exhausting.

And in truth, other than seeing Leonardo DiCaprio put on a good show, there's not much to it.  But let me be clear that Leo puts on a darn good show.  He owns it, really embodies the character.  To a nearly disturbing degree.

With crazy stories like this, you have to wonder how true they are.  According to Slate's investigation, the movie (and the book it's based on) are more true than not.  According to Brooklyn federal investigators, the real Belfort is every bit the dishonest sleazeball he appeared to be in the movie.

Bottom line: if you want to be appalled, watch.  It's good acting.  But I'm warning you, it's also disgusting and exhausting!

1 comment:

  1. Somehow your review made me want to see it? I just picked it up from the library today.

    ReplyDelete