Saturday, May 9, 2015

What I Watched -- Crimes and Misdemeanors -and- Hannah and Her Sisters

Oh, Woody Allen, you're just so...you. Maybe whiny is the word I'm looking for.  It's the PC word, anyway.  You can each pick whatever work you would like for yourself.

C said I should watch Hannah and Her Sisters because I have two of them myself.  It is his opinion that Crimes and Misdemeanors is one of Woody Allen's better movies, so if I were going to watch any, I had to watch that one.  And that's how I ended up watching them both.

I watched Hannah first.  While it is true that I have two sisters, I certainly hope things aren't as messed up for us as we get older as they are for Hannah, Lee, and Holly.  Or really anybody in the movie.  My favorite storyline, albeit a minor one, is probably that of their parents, played by Maureen O'Sullivan and Lloyd Nolan.  One thing I do have to say for Hannah is that it displays quite a cast, starring many of Allen's stalwarts: Michael Caine, Mia Farrow, Barbara Hershey, Carrie Fisher, Dianne West, and on and on.

And then Crimes, which is just as messed up, but in a different way.  Although really, what can you expect from a guy as messed up as Woody Allen?  I mean, he's in a long-term relationship with someone who stars in many of the movies he makes, and then he runs off and marries her adopted daughter.  Actually, no, he doesn't even have the decency to run off and do it.  He's just living his life as he always was, except now with his ex's daughter.  Weird and messed up.

Though I haven't taken in a huge percentage of Woody Allen's filmography, for my money, his best movie is Midnight in Paris.

1 comment:

  1. In complete agreement, and Ive seen a lot of them (ugh)

    ReplyDelete