Thursday, August 18, 2016

What I Watched -- The Big Short

I picked up The Big Short at the library last week.  I also grabbed The Fighter, but S had already seen it, so we only watched this one.

Much to my dismay, we were about 45 seconds into it when he said, "I feel like I've seen this before..."  I thought I had struck out big time, picking out two movies he had already seen.  Then he went on to say, "...because it feels just like..."  He couldn't remember the name of the other movie he was thinking of, but I knew right away where he was going with it.  "The Wolf of Wall Street!"

And sure enough, it does have that feel to it.  There is a character who acts as a bit of a narrator, and talks directly to the camera.  There are other characters who directly address the viewer as well.  Especially in the beginning, there's a party-like atmosphere as the market goes crazy.

Then it takes a bit of a turn, and it differs from Wolf of Wall Street in that there are fewer drugs and less alcohol, and more analysis of the impending doom hiding in the rocketing financial sector.  The big names in the film all did a nice job.  Christian Bale is a disturbingly good disturbed guy.

Bottom line: pretty good, and definitely left me feeling (slightly) less disgusted than The Wolf did.

No comments:

Post a Comment