Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Quote of the Day

In light of yesterday's lighthearted quote from Sliding Doors, and in view of all the recent news about the Trump Tape, the responsive hashtag #notokay, and my recent watching of The Fall, here's something to think about:

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them.  Women are afraid that men will kill them."
  -- Margaret Atwood

This blog quotes a section of a responsive commentary, where the writer asks which of those things happens more often, implying that women have very little to fear.  I am 100% on board with the blogger's response: not every man feels the need to exert violence against women, but there isn't a single woman in the world who hasn't been afraid.

I would add that there's a scene in The Fall where Gillian Anderson's character misquotes this Atwood quote.  She says "Men are afraid that women will laugh at them.  Women are afraid that men will rape or kill them."  I think The Fall's version is more accurate.

Why is this our world?

1 comment:

  1. You've had some philosophical entries on this here blog lately (and by "lately," I mean "three months ago." I'm doing a little catching up).

    ReplyDelete