Wednesday, October 5, 2016

What I Watched -- Carol

S and I picked up Carol recently, and it succeeded in putting me to sleep.

After toting it around in my purse for a while and trying to decide whether to finish it, I figured that I might as well watch it, since I had already incurred the late fees from the library.

There are two things, right off the bat, that I love.  First, it's set in Manhattan.  Second, it's set in the 1950s, and I love the dress and manners of that era.  The sets are phenomenal.

Other than that, it is an odd movie. It's a lesbian love story between two very different characters, and is based on Patricia Highsmith's 1952 book, The Price of Salt.  Carol (Cate Blanchett) is an unhappy wife and mother of a small child; Therese (Rooney Mara) is a floundering early-twenty-something.  There are several long, slow shots of the actresses faces, and they are both wonderfully talented at expressing their emotions while saying nothing.

Bottom line: it's not exciting, but if you're not sleepy, it's worth watching to see these two lovely ladies do some wonderful acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment