Thursday, October 13, 2016

What I Watched -- Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck.  I was a bit of a Nirvana fan in my pre-teen years, but I just listened to their music.  I never really followed or much cared about the personal histories or the band members or Kurt's odd relationship with Courtney Love.

This film really is a "montage"; it's comprised of film footage, interviews, artwork, song lyrics, cartoons, letters, home video, and more.  Visually, it was appealing.  The soundtrack is obviously comprised of Nirvana songs, and there is a song to parallel every part Kurt's life story.  I don't know his library well enough to know whether the timing of the writing of a particular song played corresponded with that portion of his personal history, but I would be interested to find out, if anyone knows.

Kurt was a severely messed up human being, in the way that many artists are.  They are smart and sensitive, and that often leads down a path of both creation and self-destruction.  And so with Kurt.  He was 27 when he took his own life.

Bottom line: if you have any interest at all in music history, Nirvana, or wacky documentaries, this is worth 90 minutes of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment