Thursday, June 22, 2017

Madame Butterfly

I rearranged my operas this season to accommodate E's trip to town.  As a consequence, the first one in my season was the Puccini classic, Madame Butterfly.

S accompanied me to the show.  I'm sorry to say that it was probably my least favorite of the three Madame Butterflys that I've seen; however, it's still a wonderful opera, so that isn't saying much.

Partially my frustration was related to a comment S pointed out in the program.  The director discussed how she wanted to make it a performance about women: "...Three very different women from varying socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, each striving for agency and a sense of self...."  But this was absolutely the most desperate, most helpless Cio-Cio-San that I have ever seen!  I guess if "being unable to survive without a man" = "agency", she succeeded.

It was also amusing in the commentary that she went into depth about Cio-Cio-San's family's fall from wealth and power and Suzuki's struggles as the voiceless witness.  Paraphrased: "Oh, and by the way, Kate Pinkerton can't vote."  Not exactly on par.

Nevertheless, it was still enjoyable for the music if nothing else.  Puccini is wonderful!  And I enjoyed the paper house set, which had movable walls that played well in the overhead lights.  At the end of the day, a mixed bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment