Wednesday, June 7, 2017

What I Watched -- The Graduate

The Graduate is one of those films that lots of people reference, and often.  And so, even without having seen it, I knew the references.  I finally got around to seeing the actual movie.

It's interesting.  A little less risque than I anticipated (but it did come out in 1967, so for its time, it was probably quite something).

The cinematography was fascinating though.  It reminded me a lot of Garden State, a 2004 film starring Zach Braff (of Scrubs fame).  Both films had several scenes that were closeups of the lead actor's face, often with little or nothing at all happening thereon.  I'd have to watch them both back to back to solidify my theory, but when I was watching The Graduate, I just kept thinking of Garden State.

All in all, I found the movie a bit depressing.  I don't want to give away all the details of the ending, but I would have expected a bit more celebration.

Bottom line: as with many classics, it's worth seeing once, but probably not something I'm going to re-watch (except to revisit my theory).

No comments:

Post a Comment