Monday, March 5, 2018

What I Watched -- Oscar-Nominated Animated Shorts

Dear Basketball: a retiring Kobe Bryant reads a love letter to his sport and reflects on his life-long dreams of playing professional basketball.  I am surprised to report that this was probably my favorite of the shorts (the soaring John Williams score doesn't hurt).  I just wish it hadn't been quite so Kobe, because he appalls me as a person.

Revolting Rhymes: this is an animated retelling of the Roald Dahl retelling of several classic fairy tales.  While cute and clever, it was too long.

Lou: a cute tale of the playground bully being taught a lesson.  Pixar always does a good job.

Negative Space: a sweet retrospective about a son's relationship with his father.

Garden Party: an unfortunate (and gross) political and social commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment