Saturday, March 31, 2018

Goals 2018 -- March Recap

My March goal was two pronged: (a) ride bike, or (b) read books.  I'm disappointed to let you know that it basically has not stopped raining for the last three weeks of March.  So that's a bummer.

However, S and I managed to get in some good bike rides (and other fitness) anyway!  Our most epic was a 17.6-mile mountain bike ride covering about 2/3 of the Berryman Loop, part of the Ozark Trail.  That was also our first night sleeping in our new camper (which really isn't a camper yet -- but that meant I also got to test out my new sleeping bag!).  It was a cold night, and other than my feet being a little chilly and some ice falling on my face (the product of my exhaled breath condensing on the outside of my sleeping bag and freezing, then falling back down onto me when I moved), it was quite toasty.

We also did the Matson Hill Loop on a lovely, sunny Saturday.  The trailhead for the Matson Hill Loop is at the top of Matson Hill, which means that the first half of the ride is a fun downhill bash over rocks and roots, but the return trip leaves a little something to be desired.

Then we went to Phoenix to visit E/A and L/T.  We did some recreational riding with E/A to and from yoga, which totaled about 16 miles, and we rented mountain bikes and did 8.7 miles in the FINS at the Estrella Mountains.

On top of that, to blow off some steam after a particularly lengthy and frustrating series of admin-BS telephone calls, I went for a 7.8-mile run.  And I am not a runner!  But after nearly 4 miles (when I was finally no longer angry), I then had to turn around and get home again.  So there's that.

In addition to all the great fitness activities, I also met my reading goal!  I finished both The Secret Battle and The Sense of an Ending.  I made some progress on Truman as well, but then the library took it back so I am waiting for my turn again.  I do have the paper book, but since it's not mine, I don't want to carry it around with me and beat it up too badly.  Finally, I am also most of the way through another book I haven't even posted about yet, called The Unspeakable.  More on that to come.

All in all, a successful month!

No comments:

Post a Comment