Sunday, July 8, 2018

Regina

The third opera of the season was Regina, one I knew very little about prior to the start of the show.  When there is a story I am unfamiliar with, I often deliberately avoid reading the synopsis in advance of the show.  I find that I am more engaged during the performance.

What a delight Regina was -- although in a depressing way.  It is based on the play Little Foxes, which I had never read, so I was able to maintain the surprise.  It's the story of three Southern siblings, each more greedy than the last.  In order to maintain the surprise for you, if you're not familiar with the play, I won't spoil the ending.

I will say, though, that there were some seriously powerful voices in the show, especially the women.  There were a few (I think intentionally) sharp notes which were a bit surprising, but not out of place.  All in all, it was a great show.

For our meal, which E and I had to eat at home because we were running a bit behind schedule, we had a mix of the plan (which included dill-pickled green beans and deviled eggs) and some regular breakfast foods.  We took our blueberry hand pies with us to eat during one of the intermissions.  (By the way, another thing I love are three-act operas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment