Monday, December 3, 2018

58Hundred

I try not to write reviews that are going to be only bad.  And to be fair, this one isn't going to be only bad.  But it's mostly bad.

I'm always excited to try new restaurants, and we have a happening restaurant scene here in St. Louis.  So when the owners of The Block opened up a new place called 58Hundred, I was excited to try it.

Aside from the parking (note: the lot does not have a place to turn around), things started out okay.  My Manhattan was pretty good (better than S's Sazerac), but slow to arrive.  He and I got two appetizers to split.  I had a Brussels sprout taco first, and it was quite tasty; it was followed by a brisket slider, which was less tasty.

My dinner was the shrimp po' boy with malt vinegar fries.  The sandwich was dry, and really could have used a bit more flavor and lots more sriracha remoulade.  The malt vinegar fries were lacking in both vinegar and salt.

My second Manhattan, though still slow, remained delicious.

In a nutshell, let this be a cautionary tale.  58Hundred may need a few more months under its belt before you pay it a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment