Wednesday, April 3, 2019

SLSO Show #5 and a Great Weekend

S and I had a great weekend a couple of weeks ago.  It finally felt like spring, and it happened to be our 6-month anniversary as well.  S told me he was picking me up at 11:00 on Friday from work, and off we went -- I wasn't sure where.

Turns out that the destination was the spa at the Four Seasons, where we had a lovely afternoon using the fitness center, getting massages, enjoying the jacuzzi, and reading our books.  We headed over to Planter's House for dinner, which is where he had our first date!  Since that time, they have expanded their food menu, so instead of only eating appetizers, we got a full meal!  S had the steak and frites -- I tried a couple of his fries, and they were delightfully covered in gravy.  I had the pork belly and white cheddar grits, which was so good I couldn't stop eating it even though I should have saved half for later.

Saturday was a busy day!  It started out with my trip to the Maplewood Coffee Crawl with some girlfriends.  While I did that, S got himself some breakfast and ran an errand or two.  He picked me up at the appointed time and then took me to my cousin A's bridal shower in Kirkwood.  He took that time to finish up the book he had been working on the previous day and do a bit of shopping.

Once the shower was over, we continued the shopping with trips to Global Foods and Alpine Shop -- two places we really like but don't visit very often because of their location.  We then took our first bike ride of the spring!  We rode from the Alpine Shop parking lot over to the Grant's Trail trailhead, and rode it to the end and back.  It was chilly starting out (it didn't get quite as warm on Wednesday as they predicted), but turned out to be a good temperature once we got moving.

We had a healthy dinner at Frida's -- the Frida's burger for S, and the falafel for me.  We finished up the long day at the Symphony.  The first piece was Paul Dukas's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is probably most well-known from the segment in Fanntasia where Mickey Mouse brings the broom to life.  That piece, predictably, I loved.  Second was Edouard Lalo's Cello Concerto in D Major, which was a mixed bag.  I loved the first movement, found the second movement terribly sad, and was moderate on the third.  After intermission, the final piece was Cesar Franck's Symphony in D Minor.  I can't say much about this one because I slept through a lot of it.  Oops!

Sunday I had the chance to do some much overdue work in my garden.  I had mulched over all my beds with leaves in the fall, and hadn't had the time to clear them out yet.  Some of my poor plants were already poking up through them, desperately trying to find sunlight.  I hope I didn't do too much damage by leaving the leaves on for too long, but such is life, I suppose.  On the next nice day, I'll do my planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment